Apple Cranberry Cake with Walnuts
An updated version of a holiday fruit cake, this cake is loaded with sweet and tart fruit and nuts in a delicate, moist cake. Perfect for giving or serving to guests.
This recipe is: Gluten free
YIELD: 1 9X14 inch cake, or five 4-inch spring form pans
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, preferable freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Gala apples (or similar variety), diced
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, diced
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Granulated sugar for garnishing
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, fahrenheit. Spray a 9 x 13” baking pan or individual baking pans (I used five 4 inch spring form pans) with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients; almond flour, oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt, set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients; eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla, whisk until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix just until combine. Fold in the apples, cranberries, walnuts and dates, mix until evenly incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan or pans, smooth out the batter with the back of a spoon, bake for 45-50 minute for the 9 x 13” pan, or 25-30 minute for 4” pans, or until the cake is springy when pressed. Sprinkle with sugar if desired when the cake comes out of the oven. Let cool completely before wrapping or serving.
- Cake will last up to 4 days at room temperature or up to a month in the freezer.