CARAMELIZED PEAR BREAKFAST BOWL
Gluten free. Soy free. Dairy free.
Yield: 4-6 servings for grains, 2-3 servings for pears
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon of shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb
- ¼ cup fennel fronts, roughly chopped
- 1 large or 2 small Granny Smith apple
- 1 Anjou or Bosh pear, ripe but firm
- ½ cup dried figs, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint leaves, torn or roughly chopped
- ¼ cup of hazelnuts, roasted, skins removed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dressing; combine the lemon juice, lemon zest, white wine vinegar, honey and shallots in a small bowl and whisk until combine. Whisk in a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the olive oil in slowly while whisking continuously and mix until the dressing is incorporated together. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed, set aside.
- Cut the apple into quarters, remove the core and cut each quarter into thin slices, place in a large bowl. Repeat with the pear and add to the bowl with the apples. NOTE: If you will not be dressing the salad immediately, toss the fruit with a few teaspoons of lemon juice to prevent it from turning brown.
- Slice the bulb end of the fennel into thin rounds, reserving the outer portion and discarding the hard inner core. Add to the bowl with the apples along with half of the dressing and toss gently to coat all the fruit.
- Add the fennel fronds, mint leaves and dried figs to the bowl of sliced fruit and toss again to combine. Taste the salad and add more dressing or salt according to taste. Reserve any leftover dressing for another use.
- Just before serving sprinkle the salad with the toasted hazelnuts.
- This salad is best enjoyed within an hour of dressing for it’s brightest flavor.
- To add an earthy spicy note, toss some fresh arugula into the salad.