GRILLED CHEESE WITH PEARS AND JAM
Yield: 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices of hearty bread
- Butter, softened or butter spread
- 3 ounces of firm cheese, sliced, such as manchego or swiss
- 2 tablespoons or more of your favorite jam (*see note)
- 1 large Bosc pear, firm but ripe, thinly sliced, seeds and stem removed
On average, a person in the U.S. eats 57 apples per year!
- Butter one side of all four slices of bread, then set it on a work surface butter side down.
- On two pieces of bread, layer on the cheese and pear slices, top with a tablespoon or more of jam. Cover each sandwich with a remaining slice of bread, butter side facing up.
- Heat a griddle pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place the sandwich in the heated pan, and cook until the bottom side is crispy and brown. Flip the sandwich over and cook the other side until crispy and the cheese has softened. This should take about 10-12 minutes total. Lightly press the sandwich down occasionally with a spatula to compress it together a bit.
- Remove from pan, cut sandwich in half and serve immediately.
- *I suggest using a jam infused with spicy or savory flavors, such as chilis or vinegars, for the best result. I used a locally made strawberry, balsamic and black pepper jam that I buy at our farmer's market.
- Nutrition information per 1 serving (1/2 of recipe): 509 calories, 23 g total fat, 11 g saturated fat, 53 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 23 g protein
You may also like...
Green Pear Smoothie
A quick pick-me-up or a nutritional and refreshing breakfast - this smoothie will serve you well no matter when you make it!